10 April 2018

These are a Few of My Favorite People


This week, I intended to write a cultural analysis stemming from my overuse of the word "favorite." In the midst of Oxford definitions, grammatical terms, and millennial woes, however, I abruptly changed gears to free write - by hand - about five of my truly favorite things, well, people: my siblings. I was drawn in by all the simple and sweet photos and posts on my Instagram and Facebook feeds celebrating National Siblings Day, and I thought I'd join in on the fun, because not only did the wedding I attended this past Saturday show me I used the word "favorite" too liberally, but also that we don't have enough opportunities to tell the people we love why we love them - and to tell the world about that love, too. Long-form tributes are relegated to toasts at weddings and eulogies at funerals. Well, my siblings all got married quite some time ago, and I'm not waiting til they are dead to remind them just how much they mean to me.
  And while Instagram posts are wonderful, there is also something lacking. There is so much more to be said than a picture and a sentence or two can convey. This tribute is by no means exhaustive, but it did give me time to truly reflect on the blessing of being one of six children, and yes, shed a tear or two as I write. If that's not what National Sibling Day is really about, then what is the point of celebrating it at all? We have enough superficial acknowledgment in the world today. Days with titles should call us to look a little deeper. So here is my free write: a little sappy, a little metaphor heavy, but from my heart, and dedicated to the most wonderful people I know (of whom I don't actually have any digital photo documentation, go figure).

My siblings. They are the rocks on which I stand, though sometimes those rocks have felt wobbly. Like any relationships, we have had our good times and our not-so-good times - sometimes without the other person even knowing - but through it all, they are the people I was born into this life with and whom I intend to keep around for as long as our lives endure.

My sister - oh, my sister. Where do I begin? She is funny, a good joker and an even better laugher. She is a better person than I could ever hope to be. She always works to communicate effectively, always has a listening ear, but she doesn't let you walk on her. Motherhood has brought out the lion in her, and though she is eight years my senior, and I look up to her in every way, I still see her growing and changing, becoming stronger and bolder. My sister is a master juggler. She has four little boys yet still finds time to call me and give her full attention to my venting and woes. She balances being a wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend with grace, and, most notably, isn't afraid to admit that this is hard, that sometimes she doesn't know how to juggle these roles. My sister is my comfort. From crawling into her bed during thunderstorms (against her wishes), to revealing deep-seeded insecurities before the first day of school, to simply having a bad day - she is my safe haven, my calm, my shield.

My brothers - oh, my four brothers. By their own example and conviction of character, they teach me how to stand up for myself, even when I am standing up against them. They each show me to believe, whole-heartedly believe, in myself and what I have to say. They are the most passionate men I know. Passionate about their faith - even when that passion comes in the form of questions; passionate about their country; passionate about knowledge; passionate about their families. They each, in their own separate ways, lead lives of intention and purpose, that inspire - and, yes, sometimes intimidate - me to have profound purpose as well. My brothers each bring something unique to the table: Stephen is never afraid to make a fool out of himself, but also brings deep, serious thought to every part of his day, from the crapper to the chapel; David loves to love and be loved, whether he shows it through a hug or cheesecakes, but you wouldn't know it if he were schooling you on contemporary politics as he often is; Mark is quiet and quick and he relies on no one and nothing but the brilliance of his own mind (and maybe his wife), while others (I) rely on him for sage, balanced advice; Michael, as the oldest, takes responsibility seriously and disappointment hard, but his humor and wit help him sail through every situation with ease.

Yes, my siblings have theirs flaws and imperfections; yes, we fight; yes, sometimes in their presence I have felt like the little sister, and not in the good way. Yes, growing up, getting married, having kids, and moving away has altered our relationships irrevocably, in good ways and some hard ways. But good or bad, easy or hard, silly or serious, these are the people to whom my ship is tethered, and what a harbor they provide. Who would I be without Michael's "have another beer, it'll be fine" attitude? Who would I be without Mark's realism and logic? Who would I be without Liz's concern, Stephen's faith, or David's creativity? I wouldn't be who I am today, that's for certain, and I like who I am. I am proud of who I am. And I love the people who got me there.

Happy National Siblings Day!

3 comments :

  1. This is so beautiful and I can't deny that I shed a tear or two reading it too ;) you capture them all so perfectly and eloquently. I wonder how they would all describe you haha. All I can say is what a beautiful family I have married into and how blessed I am to know all of you 😊 Love you! Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Allison! haha, oh dear, I don't know that I want to know how they describe me ;) So thankful to have our family and lives enriched by the wonderful spouses they chose, my other siblings! Love you too!

      Delete
  2. What a touching tribute, Mary! I love this.

    ReplyDelete